An Early South African Manufactured Bottle found at Eerste Fabrieken outside Pretoria
The history section will contain a complete guide to the history of bottles from the earliest recorded bottle.
This will be a dynamic section of the website and input from patrons will be welcomed as this section will be updated on a regular basis based on information gathered from different sources.
1790: Jean - Jacob Schweppe and Nicolas Paul start manufacturing bottles in Geneva.
1858: John L. Mason patents a method of bottle closure still in use today and named after him.
1875: Charles de Quillfeldt patents the swing stopper method of bottle closure. Only used on stoneware ginger-beer bottles circa 1906.
1879 - 1882: South Africa's first glass factory at Papendorp, Woodstock Cape Town
1892: William Painter patents the Crown closure. This method of closure only appeared on stoneware ginger-beer bottles circa 1912.
1896: The Hatherley Glass factory erected on the farm Hatherley, Pretoria East.
1896: 28 February T.W. James granted patent no. 4172 for Galtee More closure:
1899: Michael J. Owens invents the automatic bottle making machine (improved and finally perfected by 1903).
1918: Messers. R Wood & Sons started manufacturing hand made bottles at 60 Pine Street, Durban.